Saturday, April 27, 2019

National Poetry Writing Month Twenty-Seven

Inspired by Mary Oliver, with apology

Pest Geese

You need to stop hissing at me.
You need to walk your wide load out of my way.
You have dropped your soft, green mush all over the path
and that is not okay.
Tell me what you're thinking in that dinosaur relic of a brain
and I will tell you what my monkey mind sees.
Meanwhile a threatening beak at the end of a snaking neck
stretches aggressively at me.
Meanwhile Spring sap seeps through feathers
crazing your instinct to strike.
Meanwhile I was singing "Ain't no sunshine when she's gone"
in an attempt to distract you.
Whoever walks near you next
I offer this advice
I raised my arms, made myself big
over and over established my right
to be upright and bipedal on this sidewalk.

No comments: